Everglades National Park
Have you ever wished you could do a little fishing, boating, or hiking in an exotic vacation spot? Everglades National Park in South Florida can fulfill that wish! The mystery of the Everglades can take a lifetime to explore, and the potential for outdoor activities is dizzying.
To make this vacation wonderland even more attractive, two large RV campgrounds within the Park allow the savvy traveler to stay in motorhome luxury. El Monte RV can take the hassle out of picking the right RV rental; all you need to do is decide which points of interest in the Everglades to visit first.
RV Camping on a Budget
Entrance fees to Everglades National Park are very reasonable, but travelers who hold an America the Beautiful Annual National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass can enter the Park free.
Add to those savings by shopping smart once you pick up your motorhome rental and stocking the well-designed kitchen with food for affordable meals. No more vacation fast food binges! Save money, and preserve your waistline, by “eating in.”
You’ll also find our RV rental rates very favorable compared to the cost of renting an automobile and booking hotel rooms. Once you’ve experienced the savings, and comfort, of RV travel, you won’t want to vacation any other way!
First Trip to the Everglades?
If this is the first time you’ve visited the Everglades, you may be expecting miles of snoozing alligators on partially submerged logs. The truth is, though, that this Park is so much more than swampland!
Pinelands and mangrove forests are just two of the ecosystems you’ll find as your explore the Everglades. Hundreds of species of birds, plants and animals populate these habitats, making photographing, or just observing, them in the wild one of the favorite pastimes of Everglades visitors.
If you enjoy guided tours, the Park Rangers here offer some of the best! Ecotours, kids tours, even nighttime gator tours, are conducted throughout this one and a half million acre Park. Convenient trams make it easy to listen and learn as the Rangers unwrap the secrets of the Everglades.
Here’s one more idea to get your planning started: why not experience the Everglades by boat? Numerous area vendors offer heart-stopping airboat rides or more peaceful kayak and canoe trips. Unless you’re really experienced boating in difficult areas, it’s a good idea to let these experts guide the way through “The River of Grass”. After all, it’s not every day a boater encounters a manatee up close and personal!
Things to Do While You’re There
- Hiking: Whether you’re an experienced hiker or a casual stroller, Everglades National Park has a path for you. Here are some of the favorite trails mentioned by our customers:
- Bobcat Boardwalk Trail – Shark Valley: Stroll the boardwalk through tropical forests at the very heart of the Everglades. This trail is easily accessible, so it works for families with kids and visitors with physical disabilities.
- Shark Valley Tramway: Don’t miss the chance to hike along at least a portion of this fifteen mile paved trail. Plenty of wildlife can be seen along the way, and the observation tower gives a great view of the area.
- Anhinga Trail – Salt Island: Wildlife watchers will love this trail, with frequent sightings of alligators, anhingas (also called snakebirds) and turtles spicing up the hike. Be sure to have your camera ready!
- Coastal Prairie Trail – Flamingo Area: Want a real “backwoods” hiking experience? This seven and a half mile trail is perfect for more experienced hikers.
- Fishing: Where else could you go and enjoy saltwater and freshwater fishing in the same Park? Try your skill against giant tarpon or cruise the backwaters angling for bass in a flat boat. Here’s where to find more information on companies offering tours: http://evergladesfishingguide.com/.
- Family Fun Activities: Besides having flat, easily accessible trails for the whole family to enjoy, Everglades National Park offers plenty of fun for RV vacationers with kids. How do you think your youngsters would react if a manatee swam by your boat? That’s liable to happen on one of the Everglades Ecotours. Here’s a site for a company http://www.doublersmanateetours.com/ that will introduce you to marine life in the 10,000 Islands area of the Everglades.
You can also treat your youngsters to a glimpse of Native American history with a trip to Chokoloskee Island, complete with a museum housed in the historic Smallwood Store. And if your kids aren’t signed up yet for the NPS Junior Ranger Program, they’ll love the special perks they’ll receive on this visit!
Where to Find More Information
Be sure to check out the wealth of information on Everglades National Park at the National Parks Service site. You can also visit Everglades Online for a great list of area attractions.
One more “don’t miss” website for Everglades RV campers: AllStays.com, a comprehensive list of area campgrounds.
El Monte RV Locations Near Everglades National Park
Only a few short miles from Miami International Airport (MIA), our Miami El Monte RV location is the perfect place to collect your motorhome rental before heading for the Everglades.
If you’ve never visited Everglades National Park, let us help you plan your first visit. If you’ve never camped nearby in RV luxury, we’d like to change your mind about how easy RV camping can be. Call us now at (888) 337-2214 to start planning.