RV VACATIONS AT THE OCEAN
No matter summer or winter, the oceans of our great country beckon those who want to experience the fresh sea breezes, the crashing waves on sandy beaches and the sun shining on the blue-green waters. Grab those bathing suits, beach toys, snorkel and scuba gear and get set for the time of your life. An RV vacation to the ocean is one of the most rewarding getaways imaginable.
RV TRIPS TO THE BEAUTIFUL OCEAN SHORES
Planet wide, over fifty percent of the population lives within fifty miles of the ocean. In the United States, hundreds of millions of people visit the ocean shores for vacations each year. There is a reason for this popularity. The ocean is a fascinating place, with powerful waves shaping the land each minute of the day. Outdoor recreation is fully unique at the ocean’s edge.
Where to go on an Ocean Vacation in an RV
Whether on the East Coast or the West, ocean vacations offer plenty of outdoor fun for all ages. There are hundreds of spots where you can access the sandy or rocky shores along the Atlantic or Pacific seaboards. Some areas allow swimming, others are too dangerous for entering the water but provide miles of beaches to explore and fishing for some amazing ocean fish.
Whatever area you choose for your RV getaway, it is best to learn all you can about the area before you arrive. When you research your destination, you will discover all the hidden gems to see once you get there. You wouldn’t want to miss one attraction or recreational opportunity after investing your vacation time in one lovely ocean setting.
What to Take on Your Ocean Vacation
If you need to know what to pack, here is a list of things that you won’t want to forget for the best vacation ever. Just throw everything into your RV motorhome and take off.
• Beach cover-up
• Hats (wide-brim preferable)
• Waterproof shoes (flip-flops or sandals)
• Regular shoes for in town
• Plenty of beach towels (at least two per person)
• A couple of changes of clothes
• Sweatshirts or sweaters
• Lightweight jacket
• Beach or tote bag
• Plastic bags for collecting shells or for wet clothes
• Sunscreen and lotion
• Beach chairs or a blanket
• Beach toys (buckets, shovels, beach balls, Frisbees)
• Snorkel or scuba gear
• Boogie boards
• Life preservers
• First aid kit
RV Camping at the Ocean
A wide variety of RV campgrounds are available on the ocean shores or nearby. The closer you can get to the ocean the better. For example, at Fiesta Key RV Resort
on Long Key in the Florida Keys, you can get an elite waterfront site that can’t be beat. When visiting the northwest United States, you will discover the Sea & Sand RV Park
along the central Oregon coast, with easy beach access. Hunt for shells, agates, or simply relax in the sun on a bright colored beach towel.
Ocean Vacation Articles
On our Monty's Musings blog
you can find many articles on places to go where you can easily access the ocean shores for an amazing RV vacation. Some of the articles are:
(with a long list of places to go and things to see)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
A Maine Vacation
Ocean Information Resources
Learn about the ocean before you embark on your RV trip. The more you know about this incredible resource of planet Earth, the more you can enjoy your time spent there.
Marinebio: Sharing the Wonders of the Ocean
Information about Creatures of the Deep
The Pacific Ocean
The Atlantic Ocean
Beachcombing Florida Beaches
Great RV Vacation Ocean Spots
In the coastal areas of the United States, you will find a wealth of wonderful RV campgrounds where you can establish your home base for your ocean vacation. Open the windows and let those ocean breezes blow through. The sea air is healthy and invigorating. Here are a few ideas for some oceanside RV parks.
1. Bryn Mawr Ocean Resort
– St. Augustine, Florida – Here you can walk out your door and it is only a few steps to the beach. Take advantage of their swimming pool, play a game of tennis on their courts, and let the little ones play on the playground equipment. This RV campground has pull-through, full hookup sites.
2. Ocean Lakes Family Campground
– Myrtle Beach, South Carolina – This campground is inviting with its wonderful location right on the ocean. They offer large campsites and paved roads, as well as electric, water, sewer and even cable TV hookup.
3. Camden Hills State Park
– Camden, Maine – Camping here will put you right up to the rocky shores, and you can even enjoy hiking 30 miles of trails.
4. South Carlsbad State Beach
– Carlsbad, California – Situated on a bluff above the ocean, this campground offers all the beach activities you love the most - swimming, surfing, fishing, and beach picnicking. You can even rent boogie boards and fishing gear if needed.
5. Bodega Dunes Campground
– Bodega Bay, California – A gorgeous place to camp by the ocean. Wander the secluded coves and along the sandy beaches. This is a rugged shoreline, and you are only steps away from the ocean at this convenient campground off of Highway 1.
An ocean vacation in an RV is a great way to escape the day-to-day grind. A getaway to the beach relaxes both body and mind, getting you ready to face the world once again after your vacation is over. The sun and sandy beaches, the sea birds and shell gathering - it all waits for you on the U.S. coasts.