Are you planning for your first-ever RV camping trip and aren’t sure what to pack? No worries! We’ve created an RV packing checklist to help ensure your motorhome camping trip is a success.
You’re going to love the convenience and economy of cooking meals in your RV kitchen. Plan your menu first, with an eye to using the same pots, pans and serving dishes to save space. There are plenty of excellent RV cookbooks to help you plan. Here’s a basic packing list for your RV:
Essential RV Camping Supplies – Kitchen Essentials
- We’ve divided the things you’ll need to pack into several categories, to make your planning simpler. The list may seem overwhelming at first glance, but once you’ve checked off the list for your first trip, you’ll be ready every time you go camping!
- Dutch oven with lid
- Skillet with lid
- Smaller sauce pan with lid
- Microwaveable bowls
- Spatulas and spoons
- Basic dish set – plates, bowls, cups, glasses, eating utensils
- Serving dishes
- Camp percolator or teapot, coffee, tea and filters
- Water Pitcher
- Small cutting board
- Pot holders and dish towels
- Dishpan, dish soap and scrubbers
- Food storage supplies – foil, sealable plastic bags, containers, plastic wrap
- Small utensils – potato peeler, measuring cups/spoons, corkscrew, paring and chopping knives, can and bottle openers
- Food items from your menu (don’t forget the spices!)
Essential RV Camping Supplies – Cleaning
- Keeping your motorhome clean throughout the trip means a safe, enjoyable vacation, so be sure to pack these basic supplies. Use a plastic trash container with a lid to stow these essentials.
- All purpose cleaner
- Toilet brush
- Disinfectant spray ( make sure RV is well-ventilated or it may set off the carbon alarm.)
- Dual purpose mop/sweeper & pads
- Trash bags
- Plastic trash containers – large & small
* NOTE: El Monte RV offers housekeeping and kitchen kits that provide some of the aforementioned items for an additional fee. Check website for exact details. This makes sense for many RV renters who wish to save time. (Please note: these are not available at all locations.)
Essential RV Camping Supplies – Safety/First Aid
- Basic first aid kit –
- adhesive bandages
- antiseptic wipes
- antibiotic ointment
- insect repellant
- aloe skin lotion
- saline eye drops
- gauze pads and white tape
- daily and emergency medications
- pain reliever
- Battery-powered radio
- Small kitchen fire extinguisher
Essential RV Camping Supplies – Miscellaneous
- These are the things you’ll wish you’d packed!
- Duct tape
- Small tool kit with screwdrivers, hammer, wrenches
- Jumper cables
- Bungee cords with hooks
- Extra batteries
- Cellphone chargers
- Lanterns – battery or gas
- Power strip
- Lawn chairs (bagged, collapsible ones pack best)
- Sun glasses
- small ice chest for keeping drinks close at hand while outside.
- firewood and matches – if you’ll being enjoying campsite camping as well.
Essential RV Camping Supplies – Comfort
- Bedding – sheets, pillowcases, comforters, pillows
- Small electric or battery powered fan
- Toilet paper & tissues that are designed for septic tanks. It will prevent clogging issues!
- Wash cloths & towels
- Hand sanitizer & liquid hand soap.
- DVDs for the DVD player. It’s nice to remember that the kids enjoy watching movies while travelling on the road.
Once you’ve gathered and packed the items above, all that’s left is clothing and toiletries and you’re ready to hit the road. Remember – you can buy many of these things at discount or second-hand stores. If you purchase separate kitchen, cleaning and safety items for camping, you can store them in their labeled containers between trips for a quick grab & go vacation and they will work double-duty as Emergency KIts as well.
You really are setting yourself up for a great camping experience as well as being prepared for an unexpected emergency! You can get a jumpstart on all of this prep work way in advance of your trip and enjoy the peace of mind that you’re prepared to handle just about any situation on the road or at home. Camping in RV comfort takes planning, but the ease of living on the road in a motorhome makes the preparation worthwhile!